Monday, August 27, 2012

Introducing Nancy's Notes


Nancy Goldberg
 
Speaking with a close friend recently,  I realized that my   role as a school board member was unclear to many of the public.  Consequently, I have decided to review my brief tenure on the board in the hope of explaining my decisions on issues.

Additionally, I propose periodically to relate my perceptions and experiences on board relationships and projects, again in the hope of making more transparent my involvements on the board

Living in any community for 50 years affords anyone an institutional memory of sorts.  I have not only lived in Culver City but been employed by its school district for nearly that period of time.     Children emerging into adulthood was and is my educational focus, so I envisioned my participation on the board as a resource and reference contributor.  When I joined the board, I actually needed to double time my learning curve.    I became dependent on reviewing past board meeting videos.  Certainly, this obligation to be informed is paramount with most board members; it is assumed that board members will function in good faith.  Nevertheless, we cannot know every aspect of board business from the outset.

Years of academic study had well prepared me for the daily grind of reviewing pending educational legislation and district policies, but adjusting to the prevailing hierarchy of “command” at the district level was more difficult.  As a teacher I was self-motivated, responsible for curriculum, standards and corrected papers.  On the board, I was expected to question the Superintendent and supportive personnel and turn over implementation of board decisions to them.  This adjustment to a quite different work status has taken me some time.

I recall a previous successful board member saying, “You hire the Superintendent, he or she is your work force.”  Gradually, I have accommodated these changes, but in general, the public is quite unaware of their reality, hence this commentary.

The board operates on two distinct levels: public and closed session.  Certain issues must be discussed behind closed doors, such as student expulsions and personnel discussions; this being done in order to protect the rights of participants.   Public issues may be merely discussed and then possibly agendized for an eventual vote.    Hearing what the public prefers on a specific issue is a board obligation, but the heat of emotion can distort any commentary.   Board members, of necessity, must register no personal reaction to a public request until after all sides have spoken.

Board members function as a team.  It is presumed that a mature, working relationship is in effect among them.    Civility between dedicated, elected officials must prevail.  When one board member presumes to instruct his or her colleagues, civility has broken down.   Regrettably, we all need to be reminded when our personal preferences don’t match our colleagues’, that compromise is often the only way out of a dilemma.   More to come….

Nancy Goldberg is a Culver City School Board Member and recently retired Teacher at Culver City High School.

1 comment:

  1. I always like to know about issues that concern my family and my community. I appreciate the opportunity for a brief glimpse into a political arena that affects us all, whether we have children or not. It distresses me to think that civility may not be standard procedure in a team as critical as our School Board.

    Making a transition from a position one has mastered - as Ms. Goldberg has - to a position with a steep learning curve is admirable. I am grateful to have as credible and well-respected a "newcomer" as Nancy Goldberg to shed some light on an area worthy of our attention. Our students must remain our first priority.

    ReplyDelete